Intravenous (IV) Therapy
to Treat Chronic Conditions
Naturopathic Physicians Group offers individualized IV vitamin and nutrient therapies to address many different conditions – both chronic and acute.
Most chronic conditions can be helped more quickly with IV therapies. This is because direct delivery via the bloodstream allows more nutrients, minerals, and other compounds to get to where they are needed for healing or detoxifying without being broken down in the digestive system.
Intravenous nutrient therapy is one of the most effective naturopathic methods for treating stubborn illness and restoring health. When we take in nutrients by mouth the dosage is limited. Getting those nutrients into the blood is limited by the quality of digestion. Intravenous (IV) nutrient therapy delivers larger and more effective doses into the bloodstream and to the organs where they can be most effective.
For example, Vitamin C has many functional benefits to health. When delivered via IV it saturates the body’s tissues stimulating many positive changes in metabolism. For many patients, a high dose of vitamin C, especially in combination with other nutrient co-factors enables improved healing to occur. Patients often experience breakthrough results with chronic conditions that have not responded to conventional medical interventions and/or other natural treatments.
Conditions treated with IV therapy in conjunction with other naturopathic methods include:
- Acute/Chronic Infections
- Chronic fatigue
- Fibromyalgia/Chronic pain
- Heart disease
- Nutritional Deficiency
- Asthma or COPD
- Heavy Metal Toxicity
- AutoImmune disease
- Seasonal Allergies
- Eyesight/Macular Degeneration
Our naturopathic doctors select and personalize the nutrient formula and IV schedule to accompany the integrative care that will be most effective in treating your condition. At the Naturopathic Physicians Group, IV therapies and treatments are delivered by licensed naturopathic doctors with years of experience. We strongly recommend seeking IV therapies and any medical treatments only from licensed professionals.
Types of IV therapies we offer:
- Myer’s Cocktail with Glutathione—This is our core formula that combines high dose vitamin C, B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and selenium. This combination provides essential nutrients to boost your immune system, increase energy, and metabolic efficiency to optimize health. We often add other remedies such as Traumeel or Gripp-heel to the Myer’s cocktail depending on patient needs; whether looking to relieve acute pain and injuries, lessen anxiety and depression, or for hay-fever, bronchitis, and influenza.
- Glutathione is a potent antioxidant that is added at the completion of a Myer’s Cocktail. Glutathione recycles the Myers nutrients enhancing their effect. Glutathione improves cell function in many ways. It decreases inflammation in the upper respiratory tract (helping asthma, seasonal allergies, and COPD) reduces inflammation in arteries and veins (helping the heart, blood vessels, and complications of diabetes. Glutathione also quenches inflammation in the brain easing cognitive dysfunction, brain fog, and memory problems.
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid IV (ALA IV)—Alpha-Lipoic Acid, or ALA, is an essential component of our treatment of neuropathy, diabetes, and cognitive loss. ALA is an antioxidant for lipids (fat) which affects all cell membranes, peripheral nerves, and our brain. ALA recycles other antioxidants extending their function. ALA helps heart function, effects of diabetes, neuropathy, chronic infections, and cancer. This powerful nutrient is often used and alternated with other Myers, H2O2, or ozone IVs.
- Chelation (Heavy Metal Elimination)—We are all exposed to toxins. We bioaccumulate many toxic metals (mercury, lead, arsenic etc), solvents (phenol, gas fumes), plastics, fire retardants, and pesticides. Many people poorly eliminate lead, mercury, and other toxic metals and need the assistance of chelation therapy. We evaluate the need for chelation by testing the quantity of toxic metals your body is storing. The IV formula we use at NPG uses both EDTA and DMPS that chelate out different metals. We include vitamin C and other nutrients with the chelating agents. Conditions associated with heavy metal burden include fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s, and heart disease.
- Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) IV Therapy—Many patients have chronic infections that weaken their health. Our immune system is easily overwhelmed with exposure to both chemical toxins and micro-organisms. “Stealth infections” are those that are not obvious and often produce symptoms of chronic fatigue, brain fog, night sweats, and immune dysfunction. We are exposed to upper respiratory viruses on airplanes, candida, herpes, protozoa (from raw meat and sushi), MRSA, neurotoxins from mold, Lyme disease, and many more. Hydrogen peroxide helps activate and empower our innate immune functions that fight off infections. H2O2 IVs stimulate the inner lining of the blood vessels and liver removing chemicals that may be linked to Fibromyalgia, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease. The two oxygen molecules in the IV have also been shown to help fight cancer cell growth and help treat breathing issues such as asthma and COPD.
- Cancer IV Therapy—IV therapies help stimulate the immune system to more effectively find and destroy cancer cells. IV therapies can also deliver nutrients need to heal and strengthen. IV therapies can improve the outcome of surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation, lessen side effects and help with healing. At Naturopathic Physicians Group we work with each patient to determine which therapies will supplement the specific course of treatment and help you stay in remission. It’s often a combination and sequence of IV therapies that include high dose vitamin C (demonstrated over many decades to help kill tumor cells and prevent future cells from forming.) and other vitamins and minerals to boost the immune system, deliver nutrients and detoxify.
- Macular Degeneration, Retinal tears: Eyesight IV Therapy—Combining essential nutrients needed for healing the retina and eyesight, this formula has halted the progression of macular degeneration and helps in healing the retina. Patients have reported stabilization of their vision and some improvement in eyesight. The nutrients include a wide variety of trace minerals (magnesium, calcium, copper, zinc) and rare earth minerals (boron, manganese, vanadium, strontium, germanium, etc) in addition to B complex with B12.
- Neurological IV therapy—Combining essential nutrients for brain health, this IV formula helps treat and prevent the progression of brain fog, memory loss, and cognitive decline. Patients have reported some improvement in Parkinson’s disease. These IV’s in combination with other naturopathic protocols help promote the proper production of neurotransmitters which will also help treat depression, anxiety, and insomnia. This has also been used to help relieve and prevent chronic migraines/headaches.
- Ozone IV Therapy—Ozone IV therapy has been used effectively for over 75 years to treat acute and chronic infections and other chronic diseases. Ozone is made of three oxygen atoms which, once in the body, separate into reactive singlet oxygen, which is the therapeutic agent. Most bacteria, viruses, fungi, and cancer thrive in an anaerobic state, which means without oxygen. Adding ozone to the body inhibits the growth of these pathogens. Many infections hide from the immune system by secreting a protective layer called “Biofilm.” Ozone weakens the biofilm thus exposing these “stealthy infections” to the immune system. Ozone is also hemodynamic, which means that it dilates and opens up blood vessels. This allows for more efficient blood flow through the smallest arteries and veins. Over time, patients have experienced improved tissue health, decreased plaque in the arteries, and lowered blood pressure. This procedure has prevented patients from having stents implanted. Ozone also functions as a detoxifier to the body. It helps stimulate the liver and kidney to release toxins out of the body while also helping to clean the blood and lymphatic system.
One of my patients was a 20-year-old model who was suffering from chronic fatigue, emotional fragility, a wide variety of inflammatory problems.
When we did her intake and physical and diet diary, we started a number of things, but what was most prominent was the amount of water-based tuna that she ate in order to maintain her weight. So high on the agenda was to test for heavy metals.
Heavy metal testing is done by doing a chelation challenge test. We measure the levels of minerals that are stored in the body and in the bones for 14 different elements. Well, she was in fact very high in mercury, in fact, normal should be no more than 10 parts per million. And she had over 120 parts per million.
So we got her on a good diet and then started chelating her and gradually that number came down from 1:20 to 100 to 70 to 60. As it did, her energy returned. we did it slow enough so that she was able to handle the chelation process, as well as instituting the dietary things that would keep her in good stead in terms of her, her weight.
This was generally referred to as environmental medicine and it represents a component of naturopathic medicine that I describe as “the medicine of subtraction”. (Note: Chelation therapy is a medical procedure whereby chelating agents are administered (intravenously, intramuscularly, or orally) to remove heavy metals from the body.)
For many people, they may have food allergies; foods that irritate their body and irritate their sinuses. So when we have hayfever we try to separate people from pollen, dust, and mold. When they have food allergies, we have lab tests that identify them, so maybe they remove dairy and the wheat from their diet. When they have a heavy metal toxicity, we try to identify the source of the heavy metal and try to eliminate it via this method we call chelation.
And then there are also on the medicine of subtraction in terms of just stress and decreasing your, your daily stress level. So, although very frequently we’re adding nutrients and we’re adding supplements, or the medicine of subtraction in terms of solvents and metals and toxins, ways as an important component of naturopathic medicine.