Prolotherapy Treatments and Injections | Scottsdale & Phoenix
Prolotherapy is an effective treatment for acute or chronic joint pain, arthritis and unresolved injuries.
Many pain conditions permanently resolve when ligaments and joint capsules are repaired using prolotherapy (or “regenerative ligament therapy”). Prolotherapy effectively treats – and heals – acute or chronic pain conditions (including neck pain and sacroiliac injuries), arthritis and the wide range of pain caused by injured or weak ligaments. By stabilizing injured ligaments, prolotherapy can resolve chronic ankle pain, plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis, allowing proper gait to be restored.
In our clinic, we carefully examine painful joints, such as your knee, back or neck, to identify injured ligaments and other damaged tissue. This detailed, focused exam is critical to effective prolotherapy treatment. In our clinic, prolotherapy is part of a treatment plan that may include a variety of naturopathic methods and nutrients.
We inject a prolotherapy solution that stimulates the growth of healthy collagen. We use a nutrient formula consisting of the natural substances glucose (which provides energy for healing, stimulating collagen growth), and glucosamine sulfate (which builds collagen, tightening the joint), along with a short-acting local anesthetic. The release of these nutrients into the injury site triggers a healing cascade beginning with a tonification of the existing ligament structure. The second mechanism of repair is the deposition of new collagen that strengthens ligaments and cartilage. This restores proper joint function.
The prolotherapy solution is injected directly into the injured ligaments, causing a mild localized healing response that increases the strength and thickness of the ligament. The strengthened ligaments then stabilize the joint, effectively removing the source of the pain. Generally, three to eight treatments are needed to fully stabilize an injured joint.
Our clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale provides prolotherapy as part of individualized treatment plans – including the number of treatments and the formulas used for injections. Each prolotherapy injection can be adjusted to be milder (for patients sensitive to injections) or stronger for those wanting faster results. We do not use prolotherapy solutions that irritate or produce a fibrotic reaction.
Please visit us to discuss whether you are a good match for prolotherapy or other regenerative therapies.
Some Examples of Effective Treatment Sites for Prolotherapy.
- Knee: Ligament sprains, Meniscus Tears, Patellar tendonitis, Degenerative Arthritis, Chondromalacia.
- Ankle / Foot: Ankle Sprains, Plantar Fascitis, Chronic Achilles Tendonosis.
- Wrist / Hand: Chronic Thumb Sprain or Strain, Joint Arthritis of Fingers and Thumb, Wrist Sprains.
- Elbows: Epicondylitis- Tennis and Golfers Elbow, other Ligament and Tendon Injuries.
- Shoulder: Rotator Cuff Injuries, Biceps Tendonitis, Chronic Ligament Sprains, A-C Joint Pain, Separated Shoulder.
- Spine: Sacroiliac Ligaments, Low back Pain, Iliolumbar ligaments, Interspinous Ligaments.
- Neck: Whiplash injuries, DJD, Neck pain.
- Hip / Pelvis: Bursitis, Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction, Joint Arthritis, Symphysis Pubis Pain.